councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies

Minutes of the Meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held at the Village Hall on Wednesday 1st, February, 2017 at 7.30pm to consider the following business:

Present:   Cllr. K. Griffin (Chairman), Cllr. L. Burgess, Cllr L. Gear, Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts.

In attendance:   Mr M. Harris (Parish Clerk).

MH02/17.1: Apologies:   Cllr J. Edwards, Cllr B. Moores

MH02/17.2: Declaration of Interest and Dispensations

To receive declarations of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on this agenda.

None received.

MH02/17.3 Minutes of the meeting held on the 7th, December, 2016:

Resolved: that the minutes of the meeting held on the 7th, December, 2016 be approved as a true and accurate record.

Proposed: Cllr K.  Farrell - Roberts, and seconded by Cllr L. Burgess (all in favour)

a)  Matters arising therein – no matters arising.

MH02/17.4 Correspondence and Communication

a)  To receive a summary of correspondence.

The following items were discussed under correspondence:

North Devon Council Environmental Health Team – Avian influenza information for the public.  Action Point:  The Clerk to investigate if suitable information is available to place on the Parish noticeboards.

NDC – Training event for Parish/Town Councillors.  Action Point: The Clerk to confirm the date of the training with NDC.

Report on the Taw Torridge Estuary Forum – Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts produced and circulated for information a list of points of interest from the meeting held at the end of January.   Items 7 and 8 were brought to the attention of the meeting.  Item 7 related to TDC agreeing a grant of £5,000 towards a feasibility study into an estuary barrage.  Item 8 related to the positioning of old and neglected vessels in the estuary.

Sticks Meadow – discussion took place on the growing level of complaints from parishoners on issues relating to Sticks Meadows.  Action Point: The Clerk to send a letter from the Parish Council making Christie Estates aware of the growing level of complaints, and enclose a picture of straw bales with associated debris on the bank along side the Westleigh Village sign.

Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts informed the meeting that the Devon Air Ambulance Service are seeking suitable landing areas in North Devon.  The possibility of the cricket field being made available was discussed.  Action Point:  Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts to contact the cricket club to discuss the use of the field, and respond direct to the Air Ambulance Service.

Cllr K. Griffin – informed the meeting that a bid to obtain a defibrillator for the Village had been successful.  A suitable location to secure the equipment needs to be found, and arrangements for the training of operatives put in place.  Action Point:  Cllr K. Griffin to investigate a suitable location, and coordinate the required training.

b)  County and District Council – Ward Member Reports

No reports received.

Public Session – no parishoners in attendance

MH02/17.05:  Finance

a)  Financial summary

The Clerk confirmed that the current balance in the Parish account is £5,951.34.  Expenditure to the end of March will include, Parish Clerk salary, final claim on transparency grant, Village Hall grant, and rent for the use of the Village Hall.  The projected balance to be carried forward into 2017/18 is £4,560.

b)  Payments

The following payments were put forward for consideration:

Parish Clerk – expenses Oct – Feb – cheque no 100416 - £23.14.  

Parish Clerk Salary Sept – Dec (to include holiday pay) – cheque no 100415 3491.49 to ND

Resolved:  To approve all the above the payments. Proposed: Cllr L Gear.  Seconded: Cllr K. (all in favour).  

c)  Income received:

None received.

d)  Any other financial matters

The Clerk presented the draft budget for 2017/18.  Discussion took place on the budget.  The budget will be posted on the Parish website as from the 1st April 2017.

Resolved:  That the budget for 2017/18 be approved.  Proposed: Cllr L. Burgess, seconded: Cllr L. Gear.

MH02/17.6:  Planning

a) New applications – no new applications received

b)  Planning decisions – Agricultural land to equine & erection of stabling block at West Ashridge Eastleigh – application approved.

c)   Other planning issues – The Parish Council are still awaiting notification from NDC on the outcome of planning application to build a single dwelling at 6, Langmead, Westleigh.  Action Point:  The Clerk to email Cllr B. Moores to request that he contact the appropriate planning officer to obtain an update on the application.

7) MH02/17.7:  Review of Parish Projects, and other requested agenda items:

a)  Westleigh Footpath –  Action Point: Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts to obtain local quotations for options to improve the surface of the footpath.

b)  Maintenance Specification – Cllr K. Griffin confirmed that a local advert had now been placed to invite quotations from suitable individuals to undertake the programme of Parish Maintenance Action Point: Clerk to contact Fremington Town Council to see if the Council would be interested in quoting for the work.

c)  Countryside Wildlife Fund – Cllr L. Burgess agreed to investigate options for an application to the Fund.   

d) Assets of Community Value – Cllr K. Griffin confirmed that the Westleigh Public House had now been registered with NDC as an asset of community value.

e)  Compliance with planning and highway regulations – No discussion on this item.  Cllr J. Edwards not present at the meeting.

MH02/17.08: – Agenda items for the next meeting

Westleigh Footpath – progress report.

Maintenance specification – progress report.

Countryside Wild Life Fund – update on options for funding.

Defribrillator – progress report.

MH02/17.09: - Other items at the discretion of the Chairman:

No items were raised.

The meeting concluded at 9.05 pm

The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on a Wednesday, 1st, March, 2017. Commencing at 7.30pm.  Venue:  Westleigh Village Hall.