24th may 2017
WESTLEIGH PARISH
councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies

Minutes of the Meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held at the Village Hall on Wednesday 24th, May, 2017 at 7.30pm to consider the following business:

Present:   Cllr. L. Burgess, Cllr L. Gear, Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, Cllr J. Edwards

In attendance:   Mr M. Harris (Parish Clerk), Cllr F. Biederman

MH05/17.1: Apologies:   Cllr K. Griffin, Cllr S. Ettling, Cllr B. Moores

MH05/17.2: Declaration of Interest and Dispensations

To receive declarations of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on this agenda.

None received.

MH05/17.3 Minutes of the meeting held on the 5th, April, 2017

Resolved: that subject to the above amendment the minutes of the meeting held on the 5th, May, 2017 be approved as a true and accurate record.

Proposed: Cllr K.  Farrell – Roberts, and seconded by Cllr L. Burgess(all in favour)

a)  Matters arising therein

Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts updated on the current situation with the Sticks Meadow footpath.  He reported that new tenants are now in place, and they will have horses in the field.  An approach had been made to Christie Estates to use a near by parking space, however, the response was not positive.

MH05/17.4 Correspondence and Communication

a)  To receive a summary of correspondence.

The following items were noted under correspondence:

Devon County Council – Notification of Election – placed on parish noticeboards.

Peter Hames – notification of injury to Shelduck in Estuary – circulated, and noted.

North Devon Council – update on new recycling arrangements – circulated and noted.

b)  County and District Council – Ward Member Reports

County Council – Cllr F. Biederman reported on the following:

Informed the meeting that he  had been re-elected to Devon County Council.

Some of the key issues to tackle over the next few years will be speeding traffic, improvements to the Cedars round a bout, social care and education funding.


Public Session – no parishioners in attendance.

MH06/17.05:  Finance


a)  Financial summary

The Clerk confirmed that the current balance in the Parish account is £6,228. 22.

b)  Payments

The following payments were put forward for consideration:

James Adamson – Parish Maintenance  –  £110 cheque no 100425

Community First – Parish insurance 2017/18 - £311.99 cheque no 100426

Parish Clerk – Expenses – Annual Internal Audit - £28 cheque no 100426

Devon Association of Local Councils – training costs new audit arrangements £30 cheque no 100427

Resolved: that all the above be approved for payment.

Proposed: Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts and, Seconded: Cllr L. Burgess (all in favour).  

c)  Income received:

 The first instalment of the precept £1,822.22 was received from NDC in April

d)  Any other financial matters

No other financial matters.

MH05/17.6:  Planning

a) New applications – no new applications received

b)  Planning decisions –  Permission granted – Extension and alterations to 5, Langmead, Westleigh

c)   Other planning issues – Cllr L. Burgess opened the discussion relating to the current planning application pending for Knapp House.  She proposed that the Parish Council should provide a response on the application to Torridge District Council.  After further discussion it was decided to go to a vote on the decision to either send a response of not send a response on the planning application.

After a vote 3 were in favour of not sending a response, with 1 against.

7) MH05/17.7:  Review of Parish Projects, and other requested agenda items:


a)  Westleigh Footpath –  Action Point: Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts confirmed that he was awaiting a quotation for the resurfacing work.

b)  Maintenance Specification –  The Clerk reported that James Adamson had completed the first two cuts of the season.  From an initial inspection, the quality of work was satisfactory.

c)  Countryside Wildlife Fund – Cllr L. Burgess agreed to take on the role of promoting countryside issues within the parish.  It was agreed to seek more information from the AONB/Biosphere Reserve on any biodiversity surveys that had been undertaken in the parish, and report back to the next parish meeting.

d) Councillors Code of Conduct – item deferred to the next parish meeting in July

MH05/17.08: – Agenda items for the next meeting

Westleigh Footpath – update.

Countryside Wild Life Fund

Councillors Code of Conduct

The Old Schools Rooms, Westleigh


MH05/17.09: - Other items at the discretion of the Chairman:


Action Point: Clerk to check details of Councillor contact numbers on the website, and update.


Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts circulated an information sheet on options for the future use of The Old School Rooms at Westleigh, following an indication that the School rooms may be sold.  It was agreed to keep this item on the agenda for future meetings.


The meeting concluded at 8.45 pm


The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on a Wednesday, 5th, July, 2017. Commencing at 7.30pm.  Venue:  Westleigh Village Hall.