6 sept 17
WESTLEIGH PARISH
councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies

Minutes of the Meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held at the Village Hall on Wednesday, 6th, September,  2017 at 7.30pm to consider the following business:

Present:   Cllr. L. Burgess, Cllr L. Gear, Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, Cllr J. Edwards.   

In attendance:   Mr M. Harris (Parish Clerk),  Cllr F. Biederman,  3 members of the public.

MH08/17.01: Apologies:   Cllr K. Griffin,  Cllr S. Ettling.

MH08/17.02: Declaration of Interest and Dispensations

To receive declarations of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on this agenda.

None received.

MH08/17.03 Minutes of the meeting held on the 5th, July, 2017

Cllr L. Burgess proposed the following amendments to the minutes:

MH07/17.07 – a)  Action point to read – Cllr J. Edwards to investigate costs and options for surfacing of the footpath.

MH07/17.07 – b)  Action point to read – Clerk to contact Andy Bell and invite to a future Parish Council Meeting to discuss the development of parish bases projects.

MH07/17.09

Delete Countryside Wild Life Fund and insert Biodiversity Audit.

Resolved:  That subject to the above amendments the minutes of the meeting held on the 5th , July, 2017, be approved as a true and accurate record.

Proposed: Cllr L. Gear. and Seconded by Cllr J. Edwards (all in favour).

a)  Matters arising therein – no items.

MH08/17.04 Correspondence and Communication

a)  To receive a summary of correspondence.

The following items were noted under correspondence:

North Devon Council – Consultation on North Devon Warding – noted.

North Devon Council -  Additional consultation on Local Plan – noted.

Devon County Council – Road Traffic Regulation – A39 Torridge Bridge repairs – noted, and displayed on Parish noticeboards.

Mike Hudson – Defibrillator training -  Action Point – Clerk to contact Cllr K. Griffin to discuss.

Devon Rural Housing Partnership – Community Lead Affordable Housing in Westleigh – no identified Community Housing Schemes at present.


b)  County and District Council – Ward Member Reports

No County or District reports for this meeting.  Noted that DCC had been in recess.

Public Session

Cllr. F. Biederman was in attendance for the public session

The following items were raised by parishioners:

1. Traffic speeding – Westleigh Village

There are frequent incidents of speeding traffic causing a danger to other road users and pedestrians in the road through Westleigh Village.  There is a need to put measures in place to restrict the speed on this section of the road.  After a discussion Cllr F. Biederman agreed to discuss the issues with Officers in the Highways Section of DCC, and liaise with Cllr K. Farrell- Roberts, with a view to a site visit to discuss the issues.

Parishioners were advised to report to the Police any incidents of speeding or dangerous driving, so that a log can be made and evidence gathered to support the case for actions to reduce vehicle speed.

2. Hedge maintenance – Westleigh.

It was reported that the hedges along the road in and out of Westleigh are overgrown, and causing problems for drivers using the route.  Action Point:  Clerk to contact Christie Estates to report the concerns, and establish when the next cut is due.

3. Old School Room.

It was reported that a meeting will take place on Friday, 8th September, to discuss the future use of the Old School Rooms.  It was agreed that feedback from the meeting will be reported to the next Parish Council Meeting.

4. Westleigh Footpath

Discussion on the progress with the resurfacing of the footpath took place during the public session.  The following actions were agreed;

Footpath surface – Cllr. J. Edwards to contact Martin Caddy at DCC for advise on the resurfacing of the footpath.

Parish project – The Clerk to investigate, and submit a Leader 5 expression of interest  to include a safe crossing from the Tarka Trail to the Village road/footpath, improved lighting at the bus shelters, and improvements to the footpath to include surfacing and fencing.

Improvements to maintenance of the footpath – The Clerk to contact James Adamson to request that the footpath surface be cut to at least a metre, and vegetation cut back to the hedge.  Amend the specification to reflect these ongoing requirements.


MH08/17.05:  Finance


a)  Financial summary

The Clerk presented a summary of the ½ yearly financial position.  The current balance in the bank and in the cash book is £5,141.44.  If required, there are available funds in balances to support specific parish projects.

b)  Payments

The following payments were put forward for consideration:

James Adamson – Parish Maintenance  –  £100 cheque no 100433

Resolved: that all the above be approved for payment.

Proposed: Cllr L. Gear and, Seconded: Cllr L. Burgess (all in favour).  

c)  Income received:

 None received.

d)  Any other financial matters

No other matters to report.

MH08/17.06:  Planning

a) New applications – Ref: 63583 – listed building application for relocation of door opening to en – suite at the Pines, Eastleigh, Bideford.  No comments or observations.

b)  Planning decisions –   Prior Approval of Use of Agricultural  Building to one dwelling ( class Q(A) (B) at barn to the North of Barnacott, Westleigh. Approval given to the prior notification subject to the conditions set out in the development approval

c)   Other planning issues –  Erection of one local needs dwelling at garden of 6, Langmead, Westleigh.  This application has been withdrawn and is no longer being considered by NDC.

7) MH08/17.07:  Review of Parish Projects, and other requested agenda items:


a)  Westleigh Footpath/TAP Fund–  This item was discussed during the public session

b)   Biodiversity Audit – Cllr L. Burgess lead a discussion on this item.  It was agreed to place this matter on hold for future consideration.

c)   Taw & Torridge Forum – Cllr . L. Burgess reported back from the recent meeting.

Notes that a new Harbour-master had been appointed.  His name is Paul Labistour, and he will be undertaking a review of safety legislation with an impact on the use of the Estuary, and will investigate some of the ongoing enforcement issues.  Cllr L. Burgess agreed to circulate the notes of the meeting, once they had been sent out.

d)  Parish Action Plan -  The Clerk opened the discussion on the need for a Parish Plan for Westleigh Parish.  It was agreed that the parish should develop a Parish Action Plan that set out a plan for taking forward short, medium and long term projects for the parish.

It was also agreed to set up an informal Parish Council meeting to discuss the key headings for the project plan, and to discuss the format for a public consultation event.  The Clerk will circulate a number of December dates for the meeting.  It was agreed to pay the Clerk additional hours for work on developing the Parish Action Plan,

e)  Parish Work Programme – Annual Governance and Risk Assessment

The Clerk had previously circulated copies of the above to all Councillors.  One issue to be addressed is the regular inspection of the two bus shelters, phone box and seating.  It was agreed to include this inspection within the maintenance specification.

Resolved:  That 2017/18 Annual Governance and Risk Assessment Reviews, be approved.

Proposed: Cllr L. Gear.  Seconded: Cllr. L. Burgess (all in favour)

MH08/17.09: – Agenda items for the next meeting


Westleigh Footpath/TAP – update on grass matting.

Bus stops – safer road crossing.

Traffic speeding/hedges.

Old School Rooms – feedback from the meeting

Developing a Parish Action Plan.

Work programme – Budgets 2018/19, Parish projects, precept 2018/19, Grants in 2018/19.


MH08/17.10: - Other items at the discretion of the Chairman:

Cllr l. Burgess suggested that a meeting should be arranged to invite the Cyber Crime Officer to discuss issues around cyber crime.  Action Point:  The Clerk to contact the Instow Parish Clerk to suggest a joint meeting.


The meeting concluded at 9.15pm.


The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on a Wednesday, 8th, November, 2017. Commencing at 7.30pm.  Venue:  Westleigh Village Hall.