minutes nov 15 2017

Westleigh Parish Council minutes of a meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held on Wednesday 15th November, 2017 in the Westleigh Village Hall, commencing at 7.30pm

Present:   Cllr L. Gear (Vice Chairman), Cllr. L. Burgess, Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, Cllr B. Moores, Cllr J. Edwards, Cllr S, Ettling.

In attendance:   Mr M. Harris – Parish Clerk, Cllr F. Biederman – Devon County Council.

MH11/17.1: Apologies:  Apologies were recorded on behalf of Cllr K.Griffin.

MH11/17.2: Declarations of Interest.

 Members were reminded that all interests must be declared prior to the item being discussed.

MH11/17.3 Minutes of the meeting held on the 6th, September, 2017:

To confirm and sign the minutes of the Westleigh Parish Council Meeting held on the 6th September, 2017.

It was resolved to confirm and sign the minutes of the Westleigh Parish Council meeting held on the 6th September, 2017, as a correct record

Proposed: Cllr K.  Farrell – Roberts, and seconded by Cllr L. Burgess (all in favour)

a)  Matters arising therein –  noted no further developments to report in regard of the Old School Rooms, Westleigh

MH11/17.4 Correspondence and Communication

a)  To receive a summary of correspondence:

Notice of road closure -  – adjacent to Church Road from the War Memorial to Black Gate, Westleigh – 25/01/18 – 29/01/18.  Noted.

Devon Highways Parish & Town Council Conferences – noted.

Brian Lees – email relating to the Old School Rooms and the footpath from Westleigh Village to the road -  hedge alongside the footpath has now been cut back.

Letter from the Westleigh Village Hall Committee requesting a grant for 2017/18 – to be discussed.

b)  County and District Council – Ward Member Reports

Devon County Council – Cllr F. Biederman

Reported that the Town and Parish Fund was available for 2017/18, noted that a sum of £500 has been allocated to assist with the costs of improvements to the surface of the Westleigh footpath.  Cllr F. Biederman confirmed that he was prepared allocate £500 - £800 to assist with the footpath improvements.

Reported that a sum of £1,000 has been awarded to the Westleigh Cricket Club to assist with the redevelopment of a new Club House.  Discussion with the Police, indicate that there is little evidence available to identify the persons responsible for the damage to the clubhouse.

Noted that Parish Snow Wardens should be checking stocks of salt. Action Point:  The Clerk to contact the Snow Warden to check stocks of salt.

North Devon Council – Cllr B. Moores – nothing to report for this meeting.

Public Session – no members of the public were present.

A vote of thanks was proposed, and noted to Cllr L. Burgess fr representing the Parish Council at the Remembrance Day Service on Sunday 12th November, 2017.

MH11/17.05:  Finance


a)  Financial summary

The Clerk confirmed that the current balance in the Parish account is £6,883.65.

b)  Payments

The following payments were put forward for consideration:

James Adamson – Maintenance work carried out in October 2017 – cheque no 100437- £70

Parish Clerk  – Purchase of new printer with two sets of inks– cheque no 100038 3491.49 - £129

It is Resolved to approve payment for the above items.

Proposed: Cllr L Gear, Seconded: Cllr K. Farrell - Roberts (all in favour).  

c)  Income received:

The following payment were received from North Devon Council – Parish Precept - £1,500, Parish Grant £266.00, Parish Grant Assistance - £56.21.  Noted that in 2018/19 the Parish Grant will be reduced by 50%, and fully removed in 2019/20.

d)  Any other financial matters

The Parish Clerk presented the draft budget for 2018/19.  Noted a provision of £750 has been allocated for Parish maintenance.  The precept is currently £3,000, grants are provided to the Village Hall - £266, Westleigh PCC burial ground, and £160 for the Parish Magazine.

It was resolved:

1.  To approve the budget for 2018/19.

2. To confirm the precept for 2018/19 as£3,000

3. To approve the grants as listed, subject to the Parish Clerk discussing the current financial position of the Village Hall with representatives of the Village Hall Committee.

Proposed: Cllr L. Burgess, seconded: Cllr L. Gear. (all in favour)



MH11/17.6:  Planning

a) New applications

Ref: 63746 – Outline application for erection of dwelling & access at land adjacent Little Court, Eastleigh, Bideford.   The Parish Council has submitted a response to the planning authority objection  to this application.

Ref: 63880 – Erection of rear extension to provide a private dining area for the owner/manager together with internal alterations at The Pines, Eastleigh.  No comments/observations on this application.

b)  Planning decisions

 None received.

c)  Other planning issues

Knapp House – Cllr L. Burgess informed the meeting that the Taw & Torridge Estuary Forum are formally objecting to the proposed development at Knapp House.  Discussion also took place on the arrival of a new vessel in the Estuary.  The Harbour Master is currently investigating the legal position in respect of vessels mooring on a long term basis in the Estuary

Dealing with Planning Applications – discussion took place on agreeing a process for the Parish Council to consider and respond to requests for consultation on planning applications.  It was AGREED that the Chairman would coordinate a response after consulting with other Councillors.  The response to be forwarded to the Parish Clerk, who will then send onto the to planning authority.

7) MH11/17.7:  Review of Parish Projects, and other requested agenda items:


a)  Westleigh Footpath


Cllr S. Ettling suggested that the Parish Council may wish to consider the installation of low level lighting along the side of the footpath.  AGREED:  To include on the list for discussion at the Parish planning event.

Action Point: The Parish Clerk to contact NDC to agree a specification for the surface of the footpath, cost out the works and report back to Councillors.

b)  Developing a Parish Action Planning

The Parish Clerk confirmed that an informal meeting will take place on Wednesday 6th December, to discuss headings and potential projects prior to a consultation event in 2018 to develop a Parish Action Plan.

c)  Cyber Protection Event

Action Point: The Parish Clerk to invite the Cyber Protection Officer to attend a future Parish Council meeting.



d) Taw & Torridge Estuary Forum

Cllr L. Burgess had circulated the minutes of the recent meeting to all Councillors.  The next meeting of the Forum will take place on the 15th January, 2018.

e)  Parish Maintenance

The Parish Clerk confirmed that James Adamson had now relocated to North Wales.  James has recommended Jeremy Harris as a suitable replacement.  Action Point:  The Parish Clerk to obtain references in respect of Jeremy Harris, with a view to offering the Parish maintenance work for 2018/19.

f)  Westleigh Cricket Club

Discussion took place on the best way to support the Westleigh Cricket Club in the rebuilding the Clubhouse.  Action Point:  The Parish Clerk to contact a representative of the Cricket Club to discuss the options for the Parish Council to support the Club.

MH11/17.8: – Agenda items for the next meeting:

Westleigh Footpath

Parish Maintenance

Westleigh Cricket Club

Taw & Torridge Estuary

Parish Action Planning

Review of Parish Council policies – Standing orders, financial regulations. Code of Conduct, Register of Interests.


There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.20 pm


The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on a Wednesday, 31st January, 2018. Commencing at 7.30pm.  Venue:  Westleigh Village Hall.


WESTLEIGH PARISH
councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies