WESTLEIGH PARISH
councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies

Minutes of the Westleigh Parish Council Meeting held on the 6th November at 7.30pm


In attendance – Cllrs Fairbrother, Gear, Heard, Burgess, Frajbis, Farrell-Roberts. Cllr Biedermann DCC and Cllr Saxby NDDC. Parish Clerk Roger Levick (PC), and one member of the Parish


Agenda

1. Apologies received in respect of the meeting – none received

2. Declarations of Interest – to receive Declarations of Interests from Councillors of any disclosable, pecuniary, or other Interests on the agenda – there were no declarations of interest

3. Minutes – to confirm and sign the minutes of the meeting held on the 2nd October 2019 and any matters arising – agreed and signed as a true record

4. Correspondence and Communications – to include a summary of C&C received from the Chair and Clerk – (1) A notice of Vacancy had been posted in the Parish due to Ken Griffin’s resignation with an 18th November deadline (2) An email had been received and circulated regarding the offer subject to criteria of free household energy checks from 361 Community Energy (3) Following an email from the PC it was agreed that Decembers Parish Council Meeting would meet on December the 3rd instead of the 4th due to a clash of dates (4) An email had been received regarding a Company called AutoSpeedWatch who offered a device that could identify persistent ‘speeders’ – after much discussion including DCC and NDDC Councillors, the PC was tasked with following this up and reporting back (5) The Chairman had received a complaint about a large pothole opposite Westleigh Church which he would be reporting (DF) (6) much discussion was held about the water and mud run off across the main Bideford Instow road at the Westleigh Junction. Cllr Biedermann DCC asked the PC to email him soonest with details (done)

5. County and District Ward Members reports – in person or via email – Cllr Biedermann DCC raised the following points (1) Farmers were urged to look at the DCC website regarding the ‘No Cold Caller Scheme where there was practical advice (2) DCC’s carbon footprint had reduced by 50% since 2012 – details on the website of what individuals and companies can do to further help (3) School funding had increased per Primary and Secondary School pupil - £228 and £184 respectively (4) there is a desperate need for more Foster Parents in Devon where there are 700+ children in need of homes. Cllr Farrell-Roberts whose daughter is currently undergoing Foster Parent Training, agreed to provide a brief overview of what training looked like (KF-R). Cllr Saxby NDDC informed the meeting that (1) she was looking for projects that she could support with her available grant funding and (2) that Devon Air Ambulance were definitely interested in looking for a night time landing place in Westleigh - the Cricket Club being a potential site. She stressed that no contact or consultation had taken place with the Club. DF agreed to preliminarily contact the Club and report back. Cllr Saxby agreed to forward any correspondence she had to the PC


Public Session – at the discretion of the Chair, any members of the public may speak following item 5 and before item 6 – One member of the public attended but no questions were forthcoming


6. Finance – to receive an update on the current position, to receive accounts to pay, to note any income received, and any other matters relating – the Council agreed that one cheque could be raised, that being to J Harris for the last ‘cut’ of the season. The PC mentioned that 3 previously raised cheques had not been paid in to statement date, of which 2 were for J Harris. Cllr Gear (LG) agreed to chase these up. The PC reported that following a precept payment from NDDC, the effective balance was £5287

7. Planning matters – any issues that need raising – a planning application (reference70724) had been received for an extension to the Kitchen at the Westleigh Inn – after a brief discussion it was agreed that no comments needed to be raised.

8. Westleigh Footpath update (including grant update) – there are still funds available towards the upgrade/alteration of the footpath following the decision not to resurface with road scrapings. Concerns were raised regarding the barbed wire alongside the path, and Cllr Gear (LG) agreed to speak to Tapeley regarding this with a view to possibly repositioning the wire or making it less dangerous. The ‘membrane’ which was purchased for the purpose of resurfacing needed to be located as the Parish Hall Committee could make good use for a project that they were contemplating. Cllr Farrell-Roberts agreed to locate (KF-R)

9. Housing Needs Survey – no update received to date

10. Eastleigh Defibrillator update – a further quotation had been obtained from a local provider, and the Council agreed that this should now be initiated – the PC to follow this up and also obtain a quote for the electrical connection necessary (PC)

11. Highway issues – 3 issues had been raised and forwarded to Cllr Biedermann DCC, these being (1) concern about the amount of mud and water across the Westleigh Junction, (2) Eastleigh Residents concern about the amount of flooding and standing water on the road from Eastleigh to Bideford, and (3) the Water Culvert opposite Oxmans Cottages needing to be cleaned out

12. Environmental issues – there was much discussion following the attendance of Cllr Burgess at the recent Climate Change Conference. People were encouraged to work together in a practical way to make a real difference. The Council agreed that an article should be placed in the Parish Magazine, and a list of priorities that are practical and realistic should be produced. Cllr Fairbrother also mentioned that he believed the Woodland Trust would supply trees at no cost for planting. This would be followed up and reported on (DF)

13. Bus shelter – mural and sponsorship update – the mural will be started in the New Year, and sponsorship is being looked at by the PC

14. Summer Fete – there had been some responses regarding the setting up of a Fete Committee. The Village Hall Committee had offered to help with a meeting venue, with a provisional date for the initial meeting in January to be finalised (KF-R)

15. Agenda items for the next meeting (Tuesday 3rd December – note change of day from Wednesday to Tuesday) – actions agreed for individuals marked in ‘bold’

16. Any other business not covered – (1) real concern was expressed regarding the mudslide at Westliving. After much discussion it was agreed that the offer of a meeting with Andrew Woollacott (Tapeley Manager) should be taken up with the affected parties (2) with the General Election now agreed for the 12th December, concerns were again raised regarding the state of the entrance road to the Village Hall. Cllr Fairbrother to email Andrew Woollacott )DF)


The meeting closed at 21.45hrs



Cllr David Fairbrother