Minutes of the Westleigh Parish Council Meeting held on 27th July at the Parish Hall
Attendees – Cllr David Fairbrother (Chair), Cllr Chris Heard (Vice-
1. Apologies received in respect of the meeting – Cllrs Lyn Gear, Kevin Farrell-
2. Declarations of Interest – to receive Declarations of Interests from Councillors of any disclosable, pecuniary, or other Interests in items on the agenda – none received
3. Minutes – to confirm and agree the signing of the minutes of the meeting held on the 5th May 2021 -
4. Correspondence and Communications – 1. Paul Nethercott (Airband Liaison) wanted parishioners reminded that they could still register their interest in hi-
5. Public Session – 15 minutes where Parishioners can raise any issues of concern within the Parish, or concerning the Parish – No parishioners attended, and no questions had been received.
6. County and District Ward Members reports – No report from DCC due to personal circumstances. The PC had previously forwarded the Council’s condolences. NDCllr (&MP) report – see appendix 1
7. Finance – to receive an update on the current financial position of Westleigh Parish Council, and also to confirm authorisation of those payments made between May 5th and July 21st – see appendix 2. Unanimous
8. Planning matters – it was noted that planning applications 73420 (Pines at Eastleigh) and 73233 (Manor Lea) had been approved
9. Eastleigh Defibrillator – defibrillator training -
10. Highway issues – no specifics apart from the usual complaints about potholes, although it was noted that the 2 at the junction of the Westleigh turn, had been filled
11. Environmental issues – see appendix 3
12. Agenda items for the next meeting (Wednesday 1st September) to include possible co-
13. Any other business not covered – Cllr Frajbis asked if the Council were still planning to hold a Village Fete in 2022. Unanimously agreed
14. The meeting closed at 21.10 hrs
Appendix 1 – NDCllr (&MP) Selaine Saxby
Broadband concerns have been lodged with the Openreach parliamentary team for 3 separate postcodes in Westleigh and Eastleigh as discussed.
Met with Police and Crime Commissioner, County Council and police to discuss potential solutions to parking in Instow, and across North Devon. County and District Councils are now looking at how they can better share resources so same enforcement officer is working in car park as well as double yellows. There are vacancies across Devon for enforcement officers. Letter to ministers to ask for additional messages centrally to encourage visitors to tourist destinations to park considerately to enable emergency vehicles to gain access.
Planning concerns around Barton Lane in Instow as had been raised at Instow Parish Council last week; and raised concerns about the unpopularity of the Local Plan and how the five year land supply is increasingly under threat where developments in the plan are not proceeding. The Local Plan link has been shared with the clerk post meeting. https://consult.northdevon.gov.uk/portal/planning/localplan/adoption/
Affordability was discussed and definition has been forwarded to Cllr Frajbis and the clerk https://www.devonhomechoice.com/how-
Planning restrictions on holiday lets also discussed and whether can be reversed. Information from new Head of Planning shared with Council (DM18(3)). Paragraph 13.109 states ‘Proposals for the removal of holiday occupancy restrictions will be supported when it can be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Local Planning Authority that the accommodation is no longer required to meet the tourism needs of the locality. The Local Planning Authority will require applications for the removal of occupancy conditions to demonstrate there is no demand for the property in the locality. Marketing will be considered to be appropriate when the property has been presented to the market at a reasonable price, with appropriate conditions identified and for a period of at least 12 months prior to the application's submission’
Planning White Paper coming forward in September and have raised directly with MHCLG ministerial team some of the issues being experienced in North Devon with planning apps
Advised that a virtual COP26 event is being held on 18th September, details to follow
Offered to meet with Christies team to discuss matters of concern to the parish council as have previously undertaken for Instow Parish Council
Painting of Eastleigh Phone Box £110
Clerk’s Salary – 3 monthly £495.40
Parish Insurance £256.92
Internal Audit Fee £36
Clerk’s expenses – stamps & stationery £43.84
Bank Balance as at 27th July £4065
Appendix 3 – Cllr Burgess
Green Lane leading to quarry, Westliving-
Councillor Burgess had contacted Martin Caddy (Footpaths Officer) to confirm it was not an established footpath. Cllr Frajbis said the lane had been used by villagers for many years.
Action: to check whether there are any rights to roam which could enable access.
Westleigh Memorial Garden-
Westleigh Planting of wildflowers Project-
Action: WPC speak to Jez on ways forward
Clifford Darke -