WESTLEIGH PARISH

WEST LEIGH

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]


“WEST LEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Fremington, county Devon, 3 miles N.E. of Bideford, its railway station and post town, and 7 S.W. of Barnstaple. The village, which is small, is situated on the navigable river Torridge, and on the old turnpike road leading from Bideford to Barnstaple. Some of the women are employed in glove-making for the manufacturers of Torrington. Building stone is extensively quarried. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £159, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains an antique font, elaborately carved oak seats, and several monuments to the Cleveland and Willett families. The windows are of stained glass. There is a free school for both sexes, also a place of worship for Wesleyans. Tapley Park is the principal residence. The trustees of the late Lieutenant Archibald Cleveland are lords of the manor.