6TH, APRIL, 2016
councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies
WESTLEIGH PARISH

Minutes of the Meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held at the Village Hall on Wednesday 6th, April, 2016 at 7.30pm to consider the following business:


Present: Cllr K. Griffin (Chairman), Cllr L. Burgess, Cllr L. Gear, Cllr S. Ettling, Cllr J. Edwards

In attendance: M. Harris (Parish Clerk)


MH04/16.1: Apologies: Cllr B. Moores, Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, Cllr F. Biederman.

MH04/16.2: Declaration of Interest and Dispensations

2.1 To receive declarations of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on this agenda.

None received.

MH04/16.3

Chairman to move: Agreed for the meeting to be adjourned and go into Open Forum.

MH04/16.4 Open Forum – Residents are invited to give their views and questions for the Parish Council on issues on the agenda, or raise issues for future consideration.

No members of the public were present at the meeting.

Police, County and District Council Ward Members Reports:

a) Police Report – No report.

b) Devon County Council (DCC) – No report

c) North Devon Council (NDC) – No report


The Chairman moved to end the adjournment.


MH04/16.5: Minutes of the Meeting held on the 2rd, March, 2016.

Resolved: that the minutes of the meeting held on the 2rd, March, 2016, be approved as a true and accurate record, with one amendment. Minute MH02/16.7 d) to read: Overview and updates on Taw & Torridge Estuary Landscape Assessmen and the North Devon Seascape Character Seascape Character Assessment.

Proposed by Cllr J. Edwards, and seconded by Cllr K. Griffin that the minutes of the meeting held on the 2rd, March, 2016, be agreed, and approved as a true and accurate record. The minutes were duly signed by the Chairman. (all in favour)


MH04/16.6: Matters Arising/Review of actions.

Cllr K. Griffin reported that he had contacted the owner of the hedge on the footpath from the War Memorial in Westleigh to request if it would be possible to undertake some maintenance on the hedge. No response to the request has yet been received.


MH04/16.7: Review of Parish Action Plan:


a) Westleigh Footpath – Cllr K. Griffin reported that materials have now arrived to carry out improvements to the footpath.

b) Website – Cllr K. Griffin provided a summary of progress made on the development of a new website for the Parish. He confirmed that the cost to design and build the site would be £500. The website design company have requested a £250 upfront payment prior to commencing work on the new site. It was noted that yearly costs for the maintenance of the website would be in the region of £60 per annum. An additional support from the company would be charged at an hourly rate.

Resolved: That a payment of £250 be approved to Complete Marking to begin the development of the new website. Proposed: Cllr J. Edwards, and Seconded by: Cllr L. Gear. (all in favour)

Transparency code application – a discussion took place on the items to be included in the application. The following were agreed:

• £500 – to cover the design and build of the new website.

• A laptop for the Parish Council.

• A scanner for the Parish Council.

Action Point: Cllr K. Griffin, and the Clerk to complete the application form and submit to DALC.

c) Number of Parish Council Meetings/review of Clerks hours

Following a discussion it was agreed to reduce the number of Parish meetings per annum to 8. The November meeting to be removed from the list of annual meetings.

Resolved: that the number of Parish Council meetings per annum be set at 8.

Proposed: Cllr J . Edwards, Seconded: Cllr . L. Gear.

d) Progress report on Local Green Space between Northam & Appledore – Cllr l. Burgess reported that efforts are underway by Nick Arnold to protect the land from future development. Discussion took place on the need to research the position of Northam Town Council on the matter.

Action Point: Cllr L. Burgess to contact Northam Town Council to conform the Town Council’s policy on the land between Northam and Appledore

e) Draft Environmental policy – Cllr L. Burgess circulated a copy of the draft Environmental policy to all present at the meeting. Cllr . K . Griffin thanked Cllr L. Burgess for producing the document. Action Point: Comments on the draft environmental policy to be discussed at the next meeting.

MH04/16.8: Correspondence received:

The Clerk informed the meeting of the following correspondence:

• Barnstaple Town Council – Save Devon’s School Crossing Patrols – noted. Update Devon Records Centre & Studies Centre – noted.

• David Chalmers – Refugee Crisis – Devon Forum. Noted and copied to all Councillors

• Grant Thornton – Notice of annual audit – noted. Deadline date for return is the 10th June, 2016.

• Council for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE) – Information on competition to replace “best kept Village”. Noted – for consideration at a later date.


MH04/16.9: Finance

a) Financial summary

The Clerk confirmed that the estimated balance to be carried forward to the 2016/17 financial year would be £3,600.

b) Payments

The following payments/ grant request were put forward for consideration:

• NDC Clerk’s salary and admin recharge – £334.96

• Clerk’s expenses ( details circulated to all Councillors) – £144.02

• Devon Association of Local Council’s – affiliation fees 2016/17 – £80.47

• Complete Marketing – new website design/development – £250.00

Resolved: that the above payment requests be approved.

Proposed: Cllr K. Griffin Seconded: by Cllr L. Gear. (All in favour)

c) Income received

None received

MH04/16.10: Planning

a) New applications – None received.

b) Planning decisions – None received.

C) Other planning issues – None.

MH04/16.11: Co – option of new Councillor.

Councillor K. griffin reported that no application had been received for the current vacancy.

Action Point: The Clerk to draft a flyer to advertise the vacancy, and display on local noticeboards, and in the Parish News magazine.

MH04/16.12 Meeting dates – 2016/17.

Meeting dated for 2016/17 were agreed. Action Point: The Clerk to circulate the dates to all Councillors.


MH04/16.13: – Agenda items for the next meeting


Draft Environmental Policy


MH04/16.13: – Other items at the discretion of the Chairman:


There were no items brought forward for discussion.


The meeting concluded at 9.00pm


The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on a Wednesday, 25th, May, 2016. The AGM will commence at 7.30pm. and will be followed by a Parish Meeting. Venue: Westleigh Village Hall.