3RD, FEBRUARY, 2016
WESTLEIGH PARISH

Minutes of the Meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held at the Village Hall on Wednesday 3rd, February, 2016 at 7.30pm to consider the following business:

Present: Cllr. K. Griffin (Chairman), Cllr. L. Burgess, Cllr L. Gear, Cllr. S. Ettling, Cllr. F. Biederman (left the meeting at 8.10pm)

In attendance: M. Harris (Parish Clerk)

MH01/16.1: Apologies: Cllr B. Moores, Cllr K. Farrell-Roberts, And Cllr J. Edwards

MH01/16.2: Declaration of Interest and Dispensations

2.1 To receive declarations of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on this agenda.

None received.

MH01/16.3

Chairman to move: Agreed for the meeting to be adjourned and go into Open Forum.

MH01/16.4 Open Forum – Residents are invited to give their views and questions for the Parish Council on issues on the agenda, or raise issues for future consideration.

No residents were present at the meeting.

Police, County and District Council Ward Members Reports:

a) Police Report – no reported received.

b) Devon County Council (DCC) – Cllr F. Biederman reported that he had asked for an item to put on the forthcoming DCC Highways Committee agenda relating to heavy transport access to rural village roads. He informed the meeting that a number asbestos sheets had been dumped under the bridge at Trayhill, and he had requested that they be removed.


Cllr F. Beiderman informed the meeting that he would be writing to the SW Ambulance Service following a recent incident in the Westleigh, where a casualty was left for two hours before the ambulance arrived. It was also agreed that the Parish Council would contact the SW Ambulance Service to raise concerns over the length of time the causality had to wait for a response. Action Point: Clerk to contact the SW Ambulance to raise concerns over the response time to the recent incident in the village.


Finally, the meeting was informed of the situation with the DCC budget, where a further reductions of £28 million for 2016/17, and 22 million for 2017/18. There will be impacts on the social care budget, and the school transport budget.

c) North Devon Council (NDC) – No report for this meeting


The Chairman moved to end the adjournment.


MH01/16.5: Minutes of the Meeting held on the 2nd December, 2015.

Resolved: that the minutes of the meeting held on the 2nd December, 2016, be approved as a true and accurate record

Proposed by Cllr L. Gear, and seconded by Cllr.S. Ettling that the minutes of the meeting held on the 2nd, December, 2015, be agreed are approved as a true and accurate record. The minutes were duly signed by the Chairman. (all in favour)


MH01/16.6: Matters Arising/Review of actions.

Action Point: It was agreed that Cllr .L. Burgess will draft an Environmental Policy for consideration at the next meeting.


MH01/16.7: Review of Parish Action Plan:


a) Westleigh Footpath – Cllr K. Griffin reported that there had been no progress in identifying a suitable storage location for a delivery of plainings. Action Point: Cllr K. Griffin to e-mail Cllr F. Beidernman to update on the current situation

b) Highways & Maintenance – Cllr L Gear reported that a Parish Map had now been supplied by NDC. However, the map needs to be enlarged. Action Point: Cllr K. Griffin agreed to contact Colin Frajabis , editor of the Parish News to see if he is able to assist with the enlargement of the map.

c) Website – Cllr K. Griffin updated the meeting on the current situation regarding the website.

d) Community Consultation Event – Agreed to put on hold until the spring.

e) Parish Noticeboards – Cllr. K. Griffin reported that the current arrangements to manage the Parish Council noticeboards were not working. Action Point: Cllr K. Griffin to collect all keys.

F) Progress report on Local Green Space between Northam & Appledore – Action Point: Cllr L. Burgess to circulate notes from a recent meeting relating to the above.

MH01/16.8 – Co-option of new Councillor.

Cllr K. Griffin informed the meeting that Kris Woods had indicated he wished to be considered for co-option to the Parish Council. A discussion then took place on the proposal.

Resolved: that subject to Kris Woods meeting the eligibility criteria for the co-option of Councillors to Parish Council’s. that he be invited to join the Westleigh Parish Council.

Proposed by Cllr L. Gear, and seconded by Cllr S. Ettling that Kris Woods be co-opted to the Parish Council. Voting took place on the proposal. (1 against and 3 in favour of the proposal)

MH01/16.9: Correspondence received:

The Clerk informed the meeting of the following correspondence:

• The Local Government Boundary Commission – Electoral Review of Devon: Final Recommendations – contents noted.

• NDC – Help Us Clean For The Queen Imitative – contents noted

• Barnstaple Town Council – Update on Future of Devon Records Office & Local Studies Centre – contents noted.

• NDC – Reminder of funding re Councillor Grant – content noted.

• New Pension Regulations – Action Point: Cllr. K. Griffin to contact the regulator to inform of the Parish Clerk situation re pension.


MH01/16.10: Finance

a) Payments

• Cheque no 100390 for £491.49 – Clerks salary for 3rd quarter and holiday pay for 2015/16.

Resolved: that the above cheque be approved for payment.


Proposed by Cllr L. Gear, and seconded by Cllr L. Burgess that the above cheques be approved for payment. (all in favour)


b) Financial Summary.

The Clerk confirmed that the current balance held in the Parish bank account as at the 28th January, 2016 is £4,730.91. Prior to the end of March 2016, there will be two more salary payment for the Clerk, (to include agreed salary payment), payment of hire of the Village Hall, and a small addition for increased insurance payments for the Parish noticeboards. The estimated balance remaining at the end of March 2016 is £3,600.

The Clerk informed the meeting that NDC officers had been in touch to remind the Parish Council that the grant of £200 from Cllr B . Moores towards the footpath project, needed to be spent prior to the 31st, March, 2016.

c) Precept & Budget for 2016/17

The Clerk informed the meeting that a precept of £3,000 was recommended for 2016/17. This request would provide a balanced budget for 2016/17.

Resolved: that a precept request for £3,000 is forwarded to the District Council, and that the budget for 2106/17 is agreed as set out by the Clerk.

Proposed: Cllr K. Griffin, and seconded by Cllr. Gear that a precept of £3,000, and the budget be agreed for 2016/17. (all in favour)

MH01/16.11: Planning

a) New applications – None received.

b) Planning decisions – None received.

Discussion took place on a letter received from Mr & Mrs B. D Webb relating to outstanding planning issues relating to land opposite White Lodge, Westleigh. Action Point: Clerk to write NDC Planning Officer to raise the Parish Council’s concerns over planning enforcement issues.

MH01/16.12: – Agenda items for the next meeting


Parish Noticeboards.

Draft Environmental Policy.

Westleigh Footpath.

Draft Risk Assessment.


MH01/16.13: – Other items at the discretion of the Chairman:


Cllr K Griffin introduced the draft Parish Council Annual Governance Statement for 2016.

Two items outstanding for action. 1. The need for a risk assessment document, 2) The requirement to publish information in line with the new transparency code.


Resolved: that the Parish Council adopt the draft Annual Governace Statement.

Proposed: Cllr L. Burgess , and seconded by Cllr L Gear that the Annual Statement be adopted by the Parish Council.


The meeting closed at 9.40pm


The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on a Wednesday, 2nd, March, 2016. Commencing at 7.30pm. Venue: Westleigh Village Hall.