7TH, OCTOBER, 2015
WESTLEIGH PARISH

Minutes of the Meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held at the Village Hall on Wednesday 7th, October, 2015 at 7.30pm to consider the following business:

Present: Cllr. K. Griffin (Chairman), Cllr L. Burgess, Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, Cllr L. Gear, Cllr J. Edwards, Cllr. S. Ettling, Cllr F . Beiderman.

In attendance: M. Harris (Parish Clerk)

MH10/15.1: Apologies: Cllr B. Moores

MH10/15.2: Declaration of Interest and Dispensations

2.1 To receive declarations of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on this agenda.

None received.

MH10/15.3

Chairman to move: Agreed for the meeting to be adjourned and go into Open Forum.

MH10/15.4 Open Forum – Residents are invited to give their views and questions for the Parish Council on issues on the agenda, or raise issues for future consideration.

No residents were present at the meeting.

Police, County and District Council Ward Members Reports:

a) Police Report – no reported crime since the last meeting held on the 2nd, September, 2015.

b) Devon County Council (DCC) – Cllr F. Beiderman reported that there was a possibility that the County Council could supply some plainings for the footpath at Westleigh. He agreed to e-mail details to Councillors.

Cllr. F. Biederman confirmed that he now sits on the DCC School Exclusion Task Group, which is reacting to the implications arising from the new Social Care Bill. He also confirmed that he had submitted a motion to the County Council Leader and Chief Executive with a request that DCC to write to the Government asking for action to be taken on the increasing number of unsolicited telephone calls.

Finally, he informed the meeting that Safer North Devon Partnership had produced a document on Terrorism – if anyone has anything to report please call 0800 789 321

c) North Devon Council (NDC) – No report.

Cllr.F.Beiderman left the meeting at 7.50pm.


The Chairman moved to end the adjournment.


MH10/15.5: Minutes of the Meeting held on the 7th, October, 2015.

Proposed by Cllr K Farrell – Roberts, and seconded by Cllr. L. Gear that the minutes of the meeting held on the7th, October, 2015, be agreed are approved as a true and accurate record. The minutes were duly signed by the Chairman.


MH10/15.6: Matters Arising/Review of actions.

All matters arising and update of actions will be dealt with under item 7 on the agenda.


MH10/15.7: Review of Parish Action Plan:


a) Eastleigh Bench – Cllr. K. Griffin reported that the Eastleigh Bench had now been installed. Letters of thanks for their assistance, to be forwarded to Rob Juke, and John May. Action: Clerk to forward letters of thanks.

b) Westleigh Footpath – Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts confirmed that work on the footpath had now been completed. Payment for the work to authorised.( item MH 10/15.9)

c) Highways/Maintenance – Cllr L. Burgess confirmed that she wished to withdraw for the proposed Highways & Maintenance Sub Group. It was agreed that Cllr. K. Farrell – Roberts would now sit on the Group, with Cllr. Gear. Agreed that the first stage in the development of the Group was to investigate the current DCC service specification for the maintenance of Highways, and verges. Action: Clerk to contact DCC to confirm current arrangements.

Action: Clerk to request a large scale map of the Parish from NDC.

d) Website – Cllr J. Edwards led the discussion on proposals for the development of the website. It was agreed to carry out further research on similar size Parish Council website, with a view to a further discussion at the next Parish Meeting.

e) Developing an Ethical Policy – Cllr. L. Burgess led the discussion on this item. It was agreed that an environmental statement would be a good idea for the Parish. However, it was noted that should not be seen in isolation, and the Parish should consider developing statements/guidance for other topics. Action: Agreed that Cllr L. Burgess would look at other Parish Council’s environmental statements, and circulate to all Councillors prior to the next Parish meeting.

f) Rural Housing Provision – The Clerk read out an e-mail response from Colin Savage DCC Rural Housing Officer relating to the future provision of affordable housing in Instow and Fremington. After a discussion it was agreed to investigate the current Housing Needs Assessment figures for the Parish of Westleigh. Action: Clerk to contact Coin Savage.

g) North Devon Communities Fund – Cllr K. Griffin reported that the Parish Council was making a bid for £1,000 to assist the Village Hall Committee with improvements to the roof insulation.


MH10/15.8: Correspondence received:

– DCC – notice of extended consolation period for the electoral reform. Action: Noted

– NDC – Richard Squire – Environmental Health Officer – providing an update on the current

situation with the property. Confirm that Building Control will be visiting the property.

– Barnstaple Town Council – Future of North Devon Records Office. Action: Clerk to contact BTC

to registered the Parishes concerns that the Records Office will now longer be based in North

Devon, and the need to fund the service on local basis.

– NDC – Requesting details of community priorities for residence in the Westleigh Parish. Action:

Clerk to forward known priorities, with a view to future consultation exercise.


MH10/15.9: Finance

a) Payments

Cheque no 100385 for £200 to NDCI Ltd – fencing on footpath.

Cheque no 100386 for £25 to Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal – wreath


Cheque no 100387 for £334.96 to NDC – Clerks salary recharge.


Cheques no’s 100388 and 100398 for £1,000 to Nigel Morgan – payments for footpath work.


Proposed by Cllr. Farrell – Roberts, and seconded by Cllr J. Edwards that the above cheques be approved for payment.


b) Financial Summary.

The Clerk confirmed that the current balance held in the Parish bank account is £5,621.18

The Clerk confirmed that the 2nd instalment of the precept £1,854.39, had now been received.

The Clerk confirmed that a grant of £243.18 had been received from NDC as a contribution to the cost of the Eastleigh bench.

MH10/15.10: Planning

a) New applications – None received.

b) Planning decisions – Application 59651 – Prior approval for change of use of the agricultural building to one dwelling at West Ashridge, Eastleigh. The application was refused.

MH10/15.11 – Agenda items for the next meeting.


Website – discussion – Cllr J. Edwards

Developing an environmental statement – Cllr. L. Burgess.

Councillor vacancy – Clerk.

Community event – Cllr K. Griffin


MH10/15.12 – Other items at the discretion of the Chairman:


Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts requested that a previous decision of the Parish Council be reconsidered. This related to the positioning of the old Parish noticeboard near the Bus shelter. It was explained that owing to the glass frontage on the noticeboard, in hindsight this was not a good location. If agreed the noticeboard would now be located near to the Village Hall.


Proposed by Cllr. L. Gear, and seconded by Cllr K. Griffin that the decision of the Parish Council be revised to allow the old noticeboard to be located near the Village Hall.


The meeting closed at 9.35pm.


Please note the next meeting of the Parish Council set for Wednesday, 4th, November, 2015, has been cancelled.


The next meeting of the Parish Council will take place on a Wednesday, 2nd, December, 2015. Commencing at 7.30pm. Venue: Westleigh Village Hall.