2ND, SEPTEMBER, 2015
councillors meeting dates minutes and agendas budget emergency plan governance internal audit report risk assessment Transparency policies
WESTLEIGH PARISH

Minutes of the Meeting of the Westleigh Parish Council held at the Village Hall on Wednesday 2nd, September, 2015 at 7.30pm to consider the following business:


Present: Cllr. K. Griffin (Chairman), Cllr L. Burgess, Cllr.B. Moores, Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, Cllr L. Gear, Cllr J. Edwards, Cllr. S. Ettling, Cllr F . Beiderman.


In attendance: M. Harris (Parish Clerk)


There was one member of the public in attendance.


MH09/15.1: Apologies: None


MH09/15.2: Declaration of Interest and Dispensations


2.1 To receive declarations of personal and disclosable pecuniary interests in respect of items on this agenda.


None received.


MH09/15.3


Chairman to move: Agreed for the meeting to be adjourned and go into Open Forum.


MH09/15.4 Open Forum – Residents are invited to give their views and questions for the Parish Council on issues on the agenda, or raise issues for future consideration.


An item was raised relating to the Parish noticeboard. Thisitem to be discussed under 7 b) on the agenda.


Police, County and District Council Ward MembersReports:


a) Police Report – no reported crime since the last meeting held on the 1st, July, 2015.

b) Devon County Council – Cllr F. Beiderman reported that the County Council had been in summer recess, and had nothing to report.

c) North Devon Council – Cllr B. Moores confirmed there was nothing to report from NDC. An item was raised relating to NDC Waste & Recycling Services where there were reported problems with collections. Cllr B Moores explained that the service was currently receiving a high level of complaints, and accepted that currently there were internal issues to resolve. Any complaints should be directed to NDC Customer Services.

It was agreed by the Chairman to take agenda items, and 7a) – Eastleigh bench, and 7 c) Westleigh footpath, in the public session.


Westleigh footpath – Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts reported that the fencing for the footpath had now been installed. The next phase of work will focus on providing gates at either end of the path. Cllr J. Edwards asked if the path was to be surfaced. Cllr F. Beiderman informed the meeting that some plainings may be available; he would contact Alan Jones to confirm. The Clerk requested a breakdown of costs for the project in order to claim the Councillor grant. Action: Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts agreed to contact Christie Estates to obtain the information.


Cllr L. Burgess raised an issue relating to the gauge of fencing provided for the footpath, and the ability of animals to move through the fencing. Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts explained that the current wire gauge was bigger than in the previous fencing provided. Agreed that Cllr L. Burgess would seek advice on the recommended size of wire gauge.


Actions: Cllr F. Beiderman to contact Alan Jones re supply of plainings. Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts to obtain a breakdown of costs for the footpath project. Cllr L. Burgess to seek advice on recommended size of wire gauge for footpath fencing.


Eastleigh Bench – The Clerk reported that the bench had now been delivered.


Action: Clerk to arrange for installation with a qualified Chapter 8 contractor. Cllrs Ken Griffin, and Kevin Farrell – Roberts to be invited to any subsequent site meeting.


Cllr.F.Beiderman left the meeting at 7.55pm.


The Chairman moved to end the adjournment.


MH09/15.5: Minutes of the Meeting held on the 1st July, 2015, and the Minutes of the extraordinary meeting held on the 5th August, 2015.


Proposed by Cllr K Farrell – Roberts, and seconded by Cllr. K. Griffin that the minutes of the meeting held on the 1st, July ,2015, with the agreed amendment, are approved a true and accurate record. The minutes were duly signed by the Chairman. The minutes of the Extraordinary Meeting held on the 5th August, 2015, were approved as a true and accurate record, and signed by the Chairman


MH09/15.6: Matters Arising/Review of actions.


At the last meeting it was agreed that Cllr J. White would design a poster to invite parishioners to join a local Working Group to review maintenance and highway issues across the parish. Following her resignation from the Parish Council, it was agreed that Cllrs L. Gear & L. Burgess would jointly take on this task.


Action: Cllrs L. Gear & L. Burgess to design a poster to invite parishioners to be part of a new Working Group to review maintenance & highway issues in the Parish.


MH09/15.7: Review of Parish Action Plan:


b) Parish noticeboards – discussion took place on the best way to ensure both noticeboards were kept updated. Agreed that Cllr K. Griffin and the Clerk would coordinate material being placed on the noticeboards, with the assistance of Michael Hudson, who had kindly agreed to continue placing notices on the Westleigh noticeboard


e) Website – Cllr J. Edwards reported that he had held a meeting with Capt. Paul Fronterus to discuss the current arrangements in place for the management of the Parish website. Following a discussion it was agreed that Cllrs would research other Parish Council websites with view to a sharing ideas/best practice at the next Parish meeting in October.


MH09/15.8: Chairman’s Report.


No report produced for this meeting. Agreed to remove this agenda item and replace with items to be discussed at the Chairman’s discretion.


MH09/15.9: Correspondence


Four items of correspondence were received:


E-mail from Richard Squire NDC Officer requesting an update on Myrtle Cottage, Westleigh, Devon, EX39 4NL. Richard confirmed that a letter had been sent to the owner of the property requesting that remedial work is undertaken. No action has been taken by the owner. Action: Clerk to feedback the current situation to NDC.


E-mail invitation for a Parish representative to attend the North Devon Seascape Character Assessment on the 8thSeptember. Agreed that Cllr.L.Burgess would attend on behalf of the Parish.


E-mail with minutes of the Fremington Rural Community Fund held on the 22nd July, 2015. After a discussion it was proposed by Cllr K. Farrell – Roberts, and seconded by Cllr S. Ettling that the Parish council support the proposal to purchase a defibrillator for Fremington Quay, and Instow.


Letter from Devon Rural Housing Partnership to invite the Parish to participate in discussions around an affordable housing for local people. Actions: Agenda item for the Parish meeting to be held on the 7th October, 2015. Clerk to contact Colin Savage Rural Housing Enabler and invite to the October Parish meeting.


MH09/15.10: Finance


The following request for cheque payments were put forward for consideration:


Cheque no 100384 for £243.18 to Torridge Gates – provision of the bench for Eastleigh.


Cheque no 100386 for £32-13 for Clerks expenses.


Proposed by Cllr B. Moores, and seconded by Cllr K .Griffin that the above cheques be approved for payment.


The Clerk confirmed that the current balance held in the Parish account is £4,011.99.


Agreed that Cllrs B. Moores & K. Griffin be appointed to sit on the finance sub-group.


MH09/15.11: Planning.


a) New applications

Planning Application no 59651 Prior Approval Barn Conversion to Dwelling at West Ashridge.


Cllrs L. Gear & L. Burgess visited the above site. Planning pro forma was made available to all Cllrs. No matters to report back to the District Council.

b) Planning decisions.

Planning Application no 59541 Prior approval for change of use of agricultural building to dwelling at Barns West of Pines Cottage. Application has been refused.


Planning Application no 59386. Extension to dwelling at Firsview Ashridge. Planning permission granted.


Planning Application no 59039. Listed building works at the Pines Eastleigh. Granted listed building consent.


c) Knapp House – as reported at last meeting. Thanks again to Cllr Burgess for her commitments to the outcome of the enquiry.

d) Oxman’s Cottage – Shipping Container and Hedge– concerns continue over planning consents. No further action required at present.

e) Planning Pro –forma – was circulated, and format was agreed.

Cllr B. Moores informed the meeting that the Chairman’spermission was required to extend the meeting beyond 9.30pm. Cllr K. Griffin agreed to allow the meeting to continue.


MH09/15.12: Rural Housing Provision.


This item was differed to the next meeting in October.


MH09/15.13: Meetings dates for 2015/16


The list of dates for meetings in the remainder of 2015, and 2016 were presented by the Clerk. All agreed. Action: Clerk to circulate dates for posting on Parish noticeboards.


MH09/15.14 – Agenda items for the next meeting.


Website – discussion – Cllr J. Edwards


Developing an ethical policy – Cllr L. Burgess


Rural Housing Provision.


Heritage of the Village.


Other items at the discretion of the Chairman:


The Clerk informed the meeting that no applications had been received for the vacancy on the Parish Council.


Cllr L. Burgess raised an issue relating to the recording of the history of the Parish. Agreed to include an item on the agenda for the October meeting.


Cllr K. Griffin informed the meeting that the Village Hall Committee were looking to improve/replace the heating in the Village Hall, at a cost of between £6,000 and £15,000. This could be a potential project for consideration by the North Devon Communities Fund. Action: Clerk to forward the agenda for the next meeting of the Group to Cllr Griffin.


The meeting closed at 9.50pm.


Note the next meeting of the Parish Council will take placeon a Wednesday, 7th, October, 2015. Commencing at 7.30pm. Venue: Westleigh Village Hall.